This Page

has been moved to new address

my midwife's better than your midwife

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
the mommyhood memos: my midwife's better than your midwife

Friday, May 14, 2010

my midwife's better than your midwife

When I first got pregnant, I didn't know much about different models of pre-natal care and delivery options. Like many first-time-mommies, I dove into books like What to Expect When You're Expecting (the "pregnancy bible") and signed up for a couple of different websites to give me weekly updates on bub's development.

And then I met Jeannine Bradow who would turn out to be my midwife.

Jeannine ("Nean") walked me through all the changes of my growing belly and body and baby until that 40-week mark, then helped deliver my precious son, and then looked after us with weekly home visits for the first 6 weeks of Levi's life.

Not only did she teach me so much about being a mother and carrying a baby, but she also helped educate me on the birthing process. Being equipped like that (knowledge = power!) went a long way toward distilling any fears or negative preconceived ideas that I had in my attitude toward the actual event of childbirth.

Now Nean is not only "my midwife" as I like to call her, but she is also my friend. I just want to sing her praises and brag about her a little because, well, she deserves it! She's a champion of mothers and a lover of babies. She helps to bring a sense of empowerment to women during this most monumental time of womanhood: the birth of her child.


Nean just won the award for Townsville's Midwife of the Year. I'm so proud of her and I can't think of any one more well-deserving.

Hooray for Nean! x


Labels: , , , , ,

6 Comments:

At May 14, 2010 at 9:54 PM , Blogger Kirsten said...

Hi, just checking out your blog!

I also wanted to say this was a neat post to read. When I was pregnant with my first I was soooo clueless and I wish I had the knowledge you had been equipped with (i.e. having a midwife and taking the time to make the decision to go to one). Next time around we're want to go to a midwife.

Thanks for posting!

 
At May 14, 2010 at 11:43 PM , Blogger Mama Hen said...

That is so nice that you are praising Nean!! I love the picture of you three!! Thanks for visiting Mama's Little Chick!!

Mama Hen

 
At May 15, 2010 at 8:34 AM , Anonymous KareyEllen said...

That is so wonderful you found such a great person to be there for you. I was lucky to have a great experience for Noah's birth. I've often thought about having a midwife for my next baby. I'm scared I won't find someone as awesome as her though! ;)

 
At May 15, 2010 at 9:49 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

fingers crossed I will get to the birth center.. i'm waiting for them to call me back... :) mel

 
At May 15, 2010 at 10:15 AM , Blogger Melodramommy said...

Hi Adriel, thanks so much for visiting my blog and becoming a follower. Looking forward to reading more of yours. I love your pictures and cute story about your midwife : ) keep in touch : )

 
At May 15, 2010 at 1:00 PM , Blogger ~beautyandjoy~ said...

So lovely to read receive your comments - so excited to read your blog! And it looks like congratulations are in order! xo You both look lovely!

 

Post a Comment

dear friends... i really love and appreciate your comments. thanks so much for taking the time to add your thoughts and opinions.

PLEASE NOTE: if you do not have your blogger account set up with a reply-to email address, i am unable to respond to your comments... and that just makes me sad. boo!

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home