This Page

has been moved to new address

every mommy needs a white couch (really?)

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
the mommyhood memos: every mommy needs a white couch (really?)

Tuesday, May 11, 2010

every mommy needs a white couch (really?)

I love white. White linens especially – white sheets, white towels, white cloth napkins… And I also like white t-shirts, white onsies for bub, white photo frames, white shoes, white beads... the list goes on.

I also love white couches!

A couple of months ago when my husband and I moved into a new place, we decided to get a new set of couches to fill up our larger living space. We knew that we wanted leather because not only is it stylish and so comfortable, but it’s also so much easier to clean than cloth.

We thought about black... but black leather couches can tend to look bachelor pad-ish if not thought through carefully enough. We also considered chocolate brown… But all of our other furniture and living area décor was black, white, and red. We couldn’t afford to redo the entire area, so...

Is it any surprise we chose white?

Yup, for real. I’m the proud owner of white leather couches (well, off-white to be precise). And I’m also a mommy.

I know, I know, you think I’m crazy... We figure that most people do, although only one was brave enough to actually tell us that we’d regret our decision… and I love her for it! (Oh yeah, and she was wrong.)

We’re thankful to have what we regard as a beautiful home, but it’s no show-room and we’re not afraid of living in it. My husband actually tells people when they come over to not worry about spilling on the couches when fear suddenly overtakes their face as we bring them a coffee, wine, or some other bevy. Honestly, our couches are white AND we use them... a lot.

We decided on white for a few reasons:
1. We like it. So there.
2. We live in a really hot climate… and white feels “cool”.
3. It looks great and matches the rest of our décor.
4. We can quickly see if there’s been a spill and easily take care of it straight away.

Point number four is what I’m really getting at.

Now I want you to mull over this... can you clean your couch with a washcloth dampened with warm water? Can you keep your couch looking brand-new with as little effort as wiping down the counter-top? Well, I can!

In a few short months we’ve already spilled catsup, juice, and any other number of food items. (I know it sounds like it, but we really don’t eat every meal at the couch!) We’ve even managed to get blood on the couch, but you’d never know since that too was wiped up with a wash cloth straight away leaving no trace of its existence!

So, what inspired me to write a post about my white leather couches?

This morning as I was sitting on the couch holding my dear sweet three-month-old son... and you know what’s coming: He had a blow-out all over the place! Uh-huh, I’m talking runny, mustard-colored poo everywhere, including the beautiful white couch!

Did this mommy panic? Nope, I just chuckled, went to the sink, got a damp cloth, and PRESTO the couch was clean again in 30 seconds flat! (Are you jealous yet?)

So, there you have it. That’s the reason I think every mommy should have white leather couches. With white you will immediately see/notice stains before they become, well, stains! And cleaning is a snap, which is prefect for a mommy like me who doesn’t necessarily enjoy cleaning.

What’s your favourite baby-friendly (child-friendly) item that’s also pleasing to us adults?

Labels: , , , , , , ,

11 Comments:

At May 11, 2010 at 8:09 PM , Anonymous Sus. Obaika said...

Ok, I am getting one :) You should do a commercial and get some sort of financial support from the store that sold the white couch to you:)

 
At May 11, 2010 at 11:00 PM , Blogger Adriel Booker said...

Haha, very funny. And yeah, white leather all around! ;)

 
At May 12, 2010 at 1:53 AM , Anonymous Tina Asanov said...

Okay I figured it out your next step after the blog is "the Mommy Hood Memos" book by Adriel Booker. Please please please It will be a best seller this is great stuff Adriel andI am not even a mom!!!

 
At May 12, 2010 at 6:51 AM , Blogger Adriel Booker said...

Aw... Thanks Tina. Appreciate that. I'm so glad you're enjoying it. It's also for "mommy-like" people and you definitely fit into that category. :) Much love. x

 
At May 12, 2010 at 12:18 PM , Blogger kate maggie said...

This made me laugh Adriel. Good on you. I love those white couches. You are a super mum..also, you have the best baby in the whole wide world I wouldnt even care if he pooped everywhere!!! xo

 
At May 12, 2010 at 2:07 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

So - could it also be because you grew up with cream colored leather couches purchased for the same reason - ease of cleaning?! But your white is nicer. They'll last longer than you want them to ... xo Gigi

 
At May 12, 2010 at 5:36 PM , Blogger Adriel Booker said...

thanks kate... but let's hope he doesn't poop *everywhere* right??!!! (you're not the one around to clean up... or do the LAUNDRY!:)

and yes mom, you always did set a good example. ;)

 
At May 12, 2010 at 7:48 PM , Blogger Rachel said...

Gee I wonder who would tell you you would regret your white couches? They are lovely after all. Just keep those permanent markers up high...
;-)

 
At May 13, 2010 at 12:13 AM , Blogger Mama Hen said...

White couches are beautiful, but I am not sure how they would be around my husband. I am not worried about Little Chick, she is really good about keeping her markers on the table. It is the old hubby! Happy you visited me at Mama's Little Chick. I am now a follower on your blog, too. I will keep following!!

Mama Hen
www.mamaslittlechick.com

 
At May 13, 2010 at 4:48 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

hi from mbc! you are one brave woman with that white couch. :) but my husband and i would do the same thing so i can't blame ya!

glad to be following. :)

 
At August 15, 2010 at 2:51 PM , Anonymous Shirley Stingle said...

so i am really tossing between a white leather couch or red?? After reading this..hmm...

 

Post a Comment

dear friends... i really love and appreciate your comments. thanks so much for taking the time to add your thoughts and opinions.

PLEASE NOTE: if you do not have your blogger account set up with a reply-to email address, i am unable to respond to your comments... and that just makes me sad. boo!

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home