This Page

has been moved to new address

follow-up to the "waning about weaning" post

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
the mommyhood memos: follow-up to the "waning about weaning" post

Monday, February 28, 2011

follow-up to the "waning about weaning" post


For those of you that may have commented earlier on my post waning about weaning (when did you stop breastfeeding?) I wanted to encourage you to visit again and read all of the comments that have since come in. There is a gold mine of experience and wisdom there among the feedback.

And for those who have asked, I also wanted to give a quick update with regards to where we're up to in the mommy's milk verses cow's milk dilemma.

I've decided to continue to nurse Levi first thing in the morning and at bed time for the time being, but during the day he's now drinking cow's milk.

One day a few weeks back I just tried giving him diluted cow's milk in a sippy instead of nursing him when he woke up from his nap... and he hasn't asked for mommy's milk during the day since! We were really lucky to have a smooth and easy transition when I introduced cow's milk (which reassured me he was ready).

He loves his sippy cup milk... and he still loves his mommy's milk to start and finish the day, so it's working out great for us! I love the freedom of not nursing during the days, it's not seemed to effect my supply for the other feedings (which I was a bit concerned about), he's still getting the benefits of breast milk for the time being, and I continue have my brief (very brief) moments of stillness with him in my arms that would otherwise be impossible to get with my busy little go-er!

I feel like it's a win-win-win-win. Yup, an all around win.

The other factor in my equation is that I'm not keen on breastfeeding two babies at once. For moms who choose to nurse a toddler and an infant at the same time - good for you! I think that's great if that's your thing. Personally I think it's just too much for me as I already struggle to keep the pounds on as is. (Breastfeeding has caused me to revert back to my 16-year old body size which is underweight for my height and quite honestly makes me feel waify* and unhealthy!) I know the body is an amazing and adaptable thing, but I already feel stretched to my capacity just nursing one child. I don't want to attempt two, thankyouverymuch.

So... this is where we're up to and I'm very pleased with our arrangement for the time being. It's a balance that's working really well for all of us, and I feel it will lend itself to a natural progression of weaning the last two feeds when Levi and I are both ready.

Dear friends, thanks to each one of you who took the time to comment on the original "waning about weaning" post last month. You gave some great food for thought - on a lot of levels. I'm so grateful.

love,






* Waify - pretty sure I just made that word up. But you get it... right? ;)

P.S. We're camping at the moment, so if I don't respond to comments and emails right away... that's why. No phones or internet for me!

Labels: , , , , , , , ,

10 Comments:

At February 28, 2011 at 10:24 PM , Blogger Casey Martinez said...

Yah know, you have given me an idea! I think I might try to see how Daisy does with her sippy cup and whole milk for the two daytime feedings and then see if she will still want to nurse in the early morning and late night. It's a great way to start weaning them off but, too not do it so dramatically too. Plus she LOVES the morning snuggle and nursing routine and so do I. I'm not in a hurry to cut out nursing. She isn't even one yet but, the question as to when has entered my mind lately. Hope you are enjoying your time camping!

 
At March 1, 2011 at 2:45 AM , Blogger cooperl788 said...

Good for you! Weaning is a personal thing, and it's really up to the two people in the nursing relationship to decide when and how is the right way. I think your way is great!

 
At March 1, 2011 at 3:37 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

So glad to hear that everything is going well with the weaning! We went gradually as well -- morning and night breastfeeding lasted a bit longer and then it went to just night feeding. And I completely get not wanting to breastfeed two at the same time. I'd feel the same.

 
At March 1, 2011 at 8:45 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

Such a great routine for both you and Levi! You still get a little lone Levi time, and he still gets the bennies from you (more than milk too--your closeness, sole attention, etc). Do what is right for you and Levi. You're doing good Momma!

I have to admit that I am jealous of your waifyness :) Breastfeeding seems to have the opposite affect on me-I've gained weight with both boys :P Oh well, it will come off in time, and Finn is still getting the goods and Isaac is a stronger little dude because of it :)

 
At March 1, 2011 at 12:24 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

Good for you- sounds like everything worked out perfectly!

 
At March 1, 2011 at 1:49 PM , Blogger Amy said...

That's awesome--it's all about figuring out what's the best thing for you and your child. I nursed my son for 9 months and would have gone longer if it weren't for his sharp little teeth... :-/

 
At March 2, 2011 at 11:54 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was told your body eventually stops producing milk if you are pregnant so it can give the energy/nutrients to the growing baby. I haven't had any kids yet, so I have not tested out this theory myself. Could be entirly false. But I'd be interested to know if you experience this or not to see if it is true. Maybe it is a case by case basis. Love your writing, as always! Hope you are getting lots of naps! Laura Maddox

 
At March 2, 2011 at 7:52 PM , Anonymous Melissa said...

not sure if i've commented here before or not, but I love your blog! I enjoyed reading your posts about weaning, my bub is 8 months old and I thought we'd wean at 6 months and now I just don't want to! And I've been reading through some of your past posts, and it's funny, I'm an American living in NZ with my kiwi husband and baby, and we did the NZ to SFO flight when she was 10 weeks and 5 months old, and we're going again when she is 11 months!! Our little world travelers! Anyway, just wanted to say hi, and I really enjoy your blog!

 
At March 7, 2011 at 5:35 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

so glad I let mine feed until they basically weaned themselves at 15 & 16 months respectively. I was a bit like you Adriel - somewhat difficult pregnancy and labours then caesers but great b'feeding experience,probably largely thanks to the help of a great Nursing Mothers' (as they were called then) leader. Glad because it made it so much easier to deal with all the teething dramas around 1year. Never used bottles (apparetly they can speed up weaning), just got'em straight onto a feeder cup at abt 5-6 mths. Solids at abt 5. Only hassles: when they started biting , both on the dot of 6 months.OUCH!!! Also v. glad someone told me about the growth spurts at 3wks, 6wks, 3mths & 6mths - knew they were just upping my supply when they fed all day!
Must've been feeding for a bit while pregnant with no 2 but don't remember it being a problem.
enjoy it while it lasts, it's such a special time, and as you can see I still recall it with much affection after allll these years;)
best wishes Jenni B xx

 
At March 8, 2011 at 12:01 AM , Blogger Sara at Miller Moments: said...

Be thankful for the waifyness. :) I've been the opposite - and as long as I was breastfeeding, it was like my body had to retain and hang onto any little bit of fat to make the milk production work. It's been WORK getting the last off - cannot even imagine if I were back to my teen weight. I got married at 115, and I would be happy to get back to 130! :) (still about 12 pounds to go!)

So happy that Levi took to the switch well - YEAH! How are you feeling? Any more energy yet?

 

Post a Comment

dear friends... i really love and appreciate your comments. thanks so much for taking the time to add your thoughts and opinions.

PLEASE NOTE: if you do not have your blogger account set up with a reply-to email address, i am unable to respond to your comments... and that just makes me sad. boo!

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home