This Page

has been moved to new address

toddler + silence = level four alarm

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
the mommyhood memos: toddler + silence = level four alarm

Saturday, February 26, 2011

toddler + silence = level four alarm


A few mornings ago I was laying on the floor playing with Levi.

Ok, let me be honest here.

I was laying on the floor as if to appear I was playing with Levi… but my head was resting on his nice, squishy, stuffed tiger and my eyes were kind-of—uh mostly—closed. (This first trimester fatigue is kicking my bum at the moment!)

After a few minutes he toddled off and I could hear him walk down the hallway and into the living room. I continued to listen, knowing that as long as I could hear him talking to himself and shuffling around, all was well.

And then it went silent.

I laid there for a moment hoping—wishing—that he’d start puttering about again so I wouldn’t have to move. But still, only silence.

Any mom of a toddler knows that silence raises a level four alarm, so of course I began to drag my backside off the floor to go and see what he was up to.

But just as I began to do so I could hear him start to toddle back toward me.

Relieved I relaxed again into my tiger friend and continued to lay there on the floor waiting for him to round the corner of the bedroom.

Moments later he appeared around the corner with a massive grin on his face, a twinkle in his eyes, water all down his chest and belly, and holding a very large glass still half full of water.

As soon as we made eye contact he got so excited that he dropped the glass (thankfully on the carpet where it didn’t break and cut or frighten the poor lad) and he bee-lined straight for me with his arms stretched out in excitement. He had been so impressed with himself and so excited to show me that he found an adult glass, drank out of it himself, and even carried it across the entire house to share with me.

I was counting my lucky stars that it was only a glass of water left on the coffee table from the night before and not some other more stain-inducing or child-inappropriate beverage.

So the question these days is not what is my toddler getting into? But… what isn't he getting into?!?

It really is a fun (and exhausting) stage! I’m entertained and amused every day… and there’s certainly never a dull moment with my little Indiana Jones doing laps around the house and getting into everything!

Dear friends, what are your kids getting into these days?

enjoying “playtime” on the floor,








P.S. We're camping at the moment, so if I don't respond to comments and emails right away... that's why. No phones or internet for me!

Joining in with Mama Kat’s writer’s workshop:
{Describe a time your toddler got into something they shouldn’t have.}
Mama's Losin' It



adriel booker | the mommyhood memos | 2011
do not reproduce without written permission

Labels: , , ,

10 Comments:

At February 26, 2011 at 12:32 AM , Blogger Casey Martinez said...

Too cute that he brought the glass around to show you his find! Daisy is into everything right now too and you are right it is entertaining, amusing and sometimes exhausting;0. ENjoy your camping time!

 
At February 26, 2011 at 4:17 AM , Blogger Jennie {Clover and Violet} said...

Lucky you! When my little guy was being too quiet I found him with a half container of blueberry yogurt and splattering it all over the carpet! I wanted to take a picture but I was afraid he'd think he was doing something good! Talk about having to keep an eye on them these days!

 
At February 26, 2011 at 4:47 AM , Blogger Lisa said...

I'm just wondering if you're "sure" that it was water left over on the coffee table,...or if, perhaps, it came from the toilet? Just a thought. :)

 
At February 26, 2011 at 5:15 AM , Blogger Branson said...

Hehe it is always hard not to laugh when they are so proud and cute :)

 
At February 26, 2011 at 7:08 AM , Blogger Lindsey V said...

I was holding my breath along with you, wondering just WHAT he might have gotten into! Then I could picture that little grin, and I thought it MUST have melted your heart, even as you sighed in relief! So precious!

 
At February 26, 2011 at 11:17 AM , Blogger cooperl788 said...

Awww, it's hard to get upset when they're obviously so proud of their "accomplishments", you know? Georgia's current fascination is with doorknobs. She loves opening and shutting the door; she could do it all day! It's nice because I can tell where she is by the door opening and shutting, bad because this pretty much means that she can get out of her room whenever she likes!

 
At February 26, 2011 at 6:08 PM , Blogger mdforkids said...

He is so darn cute but you are right...silence in a toddler...is not golden.

Funny, I just wrote a post today, more like a cautionary tale, about my 3 yo finding a rogue advil and thinking it was an M&M! Scary!

 
At February 27, 2011 at 7:25 AM , Blogger 4 Lettre Words said...

Boys are so much fun, huh!? :)

 
At March 2, 2011 at 7:56 AM , Blogger Melinda said...

Awww... too sweet. :) Treasure these days, Adriel.

 
At March 5, 2011 at 4:04 PM , Blogger Jhen.Stark said...

oh dear! Yes, I know this silence all too well, and for me it equaled my nicely fresh and warm cup of coffee all over the bed and carpet that I left on my night stand.... silly silly Mommy!

 

Post a Comment

dear friends... i really love and appreciate your comments. thanks so much for taking the time to add your thoughts and opinions.

PLEASE NOTE: if you do not have your blogger account set up with a reply-to email address, i am unable to respond to your comments... and that just makes me sad. boo!

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home