This Page

has been moved to new address

regression and progression: the plight of a toddler

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
the mommyhood memos: regression and progression: the plight of a toddler

Friday, January 21, 2011

regression and progression: the plight of a toddler


For the last several weeks, Levi has stopped saying mama and dada. He’s also stopped giving kisses, save for the very rare instance.

Oh, the torture! 

As a mom, all I want is to hear Levi call me mama when he’s trying to get my attention. (It sounds so much sweeter than whining!) And of course I desperately want my good morning kisses and pre-nap and bedtime kisses back. (Not to mention the impromptu ones that come in between.)

But alas, Levi’s lips are sealed.

On the other hand, last weekend he went from taking 4-5 steps at a time (which he’s been doing for what feels like ages now) to walking across the room. It was an over-night change. And of course in just a matter of days he’s also discovered he can walk all over the house, carry his toys around, and even play chase… all on his feet. Big boy. 

{And I swear he had an attempt at running this morning. Really? Really? Yikes people... This is for real.}

I was starting to wonder if his “no speak, no kiss” phenomena was linked to his developmental leap toward walking when I came across this:

Be aware that right around 12 months is when many children are learning to walk AND talk. These are huge skills, and each one can suck up all of your toddler’s physical and emotional energy for a while and lead to some weird behavior (aka toddler regression). For instance, it’s not at all uncommon for a toddler who’s been adding a word a day to his vocabulary to suddenly cease talking as he masters the art of putting one foot in front of the other. When you’re tackling the big milestones, it’s hard to multitask — toddlers can become so focused on the new skill they’re mastering (or just about to master) that their other abilities often waver a bit. (Source: What to Expect.)

So there you go, an explanation that makes perfect sense. (Sort-of?!)

Isn’t it strange to think that sometimes a perceived step backward is leading to an even bigger step forward? (I could get all deep and philosophical here, but just this once… I’m gonna skip it.)

Oh, the plight of a toddler. The tug between regression and progression.

Their little brains and bodies go on overload and they unconsciously regulate… as if to say, “One thing at a time mama; one thing at a time.”

I could take that advice for myself every once-and-a-while: One thing at a time Adriel; one thing at a time.

Dear friends, have you noticed regression and progression being linked in your child’s development? Was it alarming for you or were you able to recognize it?

progressing… mostly,


An update: After posting this... I got three kisses tonight. Heaven. *grin*



adriel booker | the mommyhood memos | 2010 
do not reproduce without written permission

Labels: , , , , , , , ,

9 Comments:

At January 22, 2011 at 12:28 AM , Blogger The Planet Pink said...

Ooh, that's deep! :-) And so true. Both in toddlerhood and in life. We could take a lesson from the self regulation for sure.

 
At January 22, 2011 at 12:56 AM , Blogger Casey Martinez said...

Yes! AS a matter of fact Daisy stopped giving kisses when she started learning to pull herself up on everything. It was so weird because she understood it so well before that. Just in the past few days she is beginning to give kisses again after a month sebatical. THank goodness! I missed them SO much! She also stopped lifting her arms up when we said, up so high. I think you have made a great observation! Hope your kisses come back soon!

 
At January 22, 2011 at 12:58 AM , Anonymous Womens Medical Symptoms said...

How cute your toddler is. You are such a lucky mom for having a healthy baby. Well, it's life. ^___^

 
At January 22, 2011 at 1:18 AM , Blogger Cameron said...

Oh my gosh I'm so glad you posted this! It's funny because you commented on my blog about the words Isis was saying & Lewis & I hadn't really noticed until a couple of days ago that Isis doesn't call me mama anymore. She says dada all the time & she's saying several other words, but mama has practically disappeared. And she hasn't given kisses in about a month, if not more. She's getting closer to walking. I can see her trying to figure it out and we practice with her at night when Lewis is home, too, so maybe that's contributing to the regression. Funny. I need to investigate more about this toddler regression! I didn't even know that was a thing. I was getting worried!! haha

 
At January 22, 2011 at 2:12 AM , Blogger Lindsey said...

Huh! And I thought our daughter was the only one!

 
At January 22, 2011 at 3:17 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

That makes me feel better- Niall stopped saying mama at about 11 months... but he still says dada all the time! Oh well, I'll chalk it up to the "d" syllable being easier to say :) The walking is so adorable, it makes up for everything else.

 
At January 22, 2011 at 5:07 AM , Blogger Tiffany Larson said...

It's totally true. Carter hasn't said mama or dada for months but he's been walking for 2 months. Now that's he's mastered it, he started saying mama and dada again this week!

 
At January 22, 2011 at 7:25 AM , Blogger Mayra said...

I noticed it when my Pooh was around 10 months. He started taking steps here and there and no more mama. =(

It comes back though!

 
At January 22, 2011 at 8:59 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

Oh now that makes complete sense...I wish that I had known that when my kids were learning to walk and talk - now at the ripe old ages of 3-10 I can look back and say yep-- that's what it was! Great post!

 

Post a Comment

dear friends... i really love and appreciate your comments. thanks so much for taking the time to add your thoughts and opinions.

PLEASE NOTE: if you do not have your blogger account set up with a reply-to email address, i am unable to respond to your comments... and that just makes me sad. boo!

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home