This Page

has been moved to new address

a bounty of books

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
the mommyhood memos: a bounty of books

Monday, January 17, 2011

a bounty of books

When you fly your family to the other side of the world needing to pack baby gear, summer clothes, winter clothes, and Christmas presents… luggage space becomes very, very precious.

And when your child is the first great-grandchild/grandchild/nephew/great-nephew/second cousin/etc… Then that little boy is sure to be doted on by all adoring family members.

At any time of year there would be gifts for this golden boy… but at Christmas, all the more so.

And since books are a logical, easy gift to pack back into suitcases… we came home with these:


Twenty-nine new books. And we love every single one of them.

This kid has the best library I’ve ever seen for an 11-month-old with no older siblings.

Luckily, he also loves books… listening to them being read aloud, reading them himself, turning the pages, studying the pictures, emptying them out of the bookshelf, putting them back in the bookshelf, showing them to mama, bringing them to daddy…

In fact, just yesterday it went suddenly quiet where Levi was playing. I immediately went over to see what mischief he had found... only to see him on the floor, books scattered around him, with Mr. Brown Can Moo in one hand and Brown Bear in the other.


Levi is definitely a book-lover.

And—thanks to friends and family who doubled our children’s library—mama and daddy are enjoying reading so much more these days too. (You can only read The Very Hungry Caterpillar so many times.)

Some of Levi’s current faves:

  • Mr. Brown Can Moo, Can You?
  • Brown Bear, Brown Bear
  • 10 Little Fingers, 10 Little Toes
  • Where the Wild Things Are
  • Gossie & Gertie
  • Eight Little Monkeys
  • Raffi song books: The Wheels on the Bus, Down By the Bay
  • The Very Hungry Caterpillar

Some of Mama’s current faves:

  • On the Night You Were Born
  • The Growing Tree
  • Oh, the Places You’ll Go
  • Dr. Seuss’ ABCs
  • Whoever You Are
  • Mr. Brown Can Moo, Can You?

I have loved books for 33 years now and it delights me to no end that Levi is starting life with a healthy attitude toward reading and a great interest in books.

Dear friends, what are you doing to help your children develop an interest in reading and imagining through story? What are your current favorite children's books?


reading up a storm,




adriel booker | the mommyhood memos | 2010 
do not reproduce without written permission

Labels: , , , , ,

8 Comments:

At January 18, 2011 at 3:27 AM , Blogger Dana said...

I LOVE books too! I am an avid reader myself and hope to pass the joy down to my kids! Aydan has so many books (I am afraid to count) because of this...and he is only 4 months old :)

 
At January 18, 2011 at 3:56 AM , Blogger Cameron said...

Oh I love books!! Isis got a ton of books for Christmas too! One of the great things for us is that my mom is/was a teacher and so she had all those book orders & got a bunch of free points from Scholastic, so after she retired this year, she just basically cashed in all her points & got Isis a ton of books!

I'm going to have to check out some of the books you listed that we don't have! Thanks for the list!!

 
At January 18, 2011 at 4:52 AM , Blogger Kristen said...

I have two little boys so this book makes my list
Two Little Pirates by Ruth Paul
http://www.ruthpaul.co.nz/two-little-pirates.html

 
At January 18, 2011 at 7:28 AM , Blogger Leadership Learning said...

My eldest loves books too. My Mum is forever ordering them for both the kids from her book club at work, so their cupboads are bursting with books. We like Charlie and Lola and one of my favourites is The Grufallo.

 
At January 18, 2011 at 8:40 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

I have a deep love for books and have been trying to cultivate this same love for my children too - they are not taking to it as well as I would hope but I read to them all the time trying.

 
At January 18, 2011 at 6:24 PM , Blogger Thru a Tori-lens said...

SO glad you're loving the books! I know your mom tried to restrain herself... :) Of course, I'm partial to Barefoot Books! http://BarefootTori.com They are unique and beautiful... now that my DD is 4, we are in a new realm of story anthologies that is truly amazing. Who knew a 4 year old could stomach real stories of the Opera, Ballet and more? We read CONSTANTLY at our house. Now she's reading on her own. Let your kids SEE YOU LOVE BOOKS! They will, too! :)

 
At January 19, 2011 at 11:40 AM , Blogger JIll said...

Books are great. As a reading teacher both my boys have lots of books and I always give books for gifts. Yeah books.

 
At January 19, 2011 at 12:30 PM , Blogger Gillian said...

My twelve-month-old LOVES his books, too. He gravitates to them before all other toys. In fact, he'll crawl across the room on command when I say, "turn the page." He enjoys many of the Dr. Seuss collection, especially "Mr. Brown Can Moo, Can You?" and "The Foot Book."

 

Post a Comment

dear friends... i really love and appreciate your comments. thanks so much for taking the time to add your thoughts and opinions.

PLEASE NOTE: if you do not have your blogger account set up with a reply-to email address, i am unable to respond to your comments... and that just makes me sad. boo!

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home