This Page

has been moved to new address

calling all party planners

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
the mommyhood memos: calling all party planners

Saturday, January 15, 2011

calling all party planners


We are now in full-force of the planning stages of Levi’s first birthday party.

I am a planner by nature. (Not always flawless at the following-through part, but great at the imagining/strategizing/planning part… and usually good at delivery. At least I try to be.)

I have been thinking about Levi’s birthday for months. Months.

And yet this is one thing that I refused to plan too far in advance.

Could it be that I wanted to focus on enjoying Christmas? Maybe…

Could it be that I had a lack of ideas? Hardly…

Could it be that the thought of a celebration didn’t excite me? No way, Jose…

Could it be that I was in denial about the fact that my baby is becoming a toddler? Ummm…

Well I can’t deny it any longer. He is as spirited as ever: exerting his—ahem—opinions, playing independently, feeding himself (well, when he feels like it at least!), learning how to talk, teetering on the verge of fully transitioning to walking (for more than a few steps at a time), and throwing far more tantrums than I anticipated for this age.

My baby turns one in two weeks.

My baby is disappearing fast... and a strong, funny, intelligent, curious, dynamic, spirited toddler stands in his place.

But this isn’t meant to be a mushy post. (I have the next few weeks to bomb the blogosphere with my sentimentality.)

This is a yay-we’re-throwing-our-first-birthday-party-and-it’s-all-really-fun-and-exciting post!

This is also a I’m-soliciting-the-best-ideas-to-finalize-our-party-plans post!

In case you hadn’t already guessed, we’re having a sock-monkey themed party. There will be hats. There will be balloons. There will be cupcakes. There will be a smash cake. There will be a surprise or two.

There will be perhaps a little more celebrating of this milestone than we’ll have at birthdays #2, 3, 4… Because, you know, there’s something really significant about celebrating our first born’s first year of life… Our first year of parenthood. (I’ll leave it there so I don’t turn this into the sappy post that is sure to come soon.)

So although I don’t want to go too crazy (there will be no jumping castle or magician or elaborate party favors), I do want to mark this occasion in a manner worthy of celebrating this important milestone… for Levi’s sake and for our own as parents.

And this is where you come in… I’d love your advice and/or suggestions about your favorite part of your child’s first birthday party. (Or another one you’ve been to.)

I’m all ears folks, all ears. My pen is in hand and I’m taking notes of your tips.

Dear friends, is the baby’s first birthday more of a milestone for the baby or for the parents?!!? Do you have any ideas about how to make our celebration special and memorable and oh-so-super-fun?

giddy with anticipation,






adriel booker | the mommyhood memos | 2010 
do not reproduce without written permission

Labels: , , , , , ,

5 Comments:

At January 16, 2011 at 4:03 AM , Blogger Darcy said...

oh my gosh Happy one year birthday!!!!

 
At January 16, 2011 at 9:40 AM , Blogger Lindsey said...

We just had A. 1st birthday. Pretty simple. Finger foods, about 25 people, pink streamers, and a princess cakes. It was great, not too stressful... although a sink did get knocked off the wall... Keep it short, and make sure he has a nap before everyone gets there. Invite at least 2 other toddlers to keep the cuteness in abundance, and to open the presents when yours gets tired of doing it!
Lindsey @ GrowingKidsMinistry.com

 
At January 16, 2011 at 10:27 AM , Blogger cooperl788 said...

Awww, Levi's such a big boy now! I love the sock monkey theme - it's perfect for a 1st birthday party.
I think 1st birthdays are definitely more for the parents than for the kid. Let's face it - they have a great time, but have no idea that this is THEIR special day. That being said, it's still important to mark the milestone for everyone!
Georgia's first birthday was just with family, and I wish we would have done a bigger party to celebrate with all our friends and their kids. I would make sure you schedule it for after Levi's nap, have a play space for all the kids, and I would wait to open presents until after the party is over. Just being at the party is enough excitement without all the craziness of opening presents and trying to keep track of who gave what.
I can't wait to see pictures of his party!

 
At January 16, 2011 at 12:10 PM , Blogger Getrealmommy said...

I threw big 1st birthday parties for both of my sons. Big. And I made no bones about it, the party was more (way more) about the grown ups than the baby! When they get older, then it is about them, and boy is it ever! So the first parties were about good food, lot's of cocktails (we actually got a keg for both of them!)taking lots of adorable photos of all of us in our party hats, and the boys having their first cake. With my second son, because I knew there wold be a lot of preschool age kids at the party I did line up some entertainment-we had a local children's musician come and lead a sing along, and party favors were a mix CD of our favorite kids music. Each kid got to decorate their own CD case with stickers and markers.
Whatever you do, enjoy it!!

 
At January 16, 2011 at 1:45 PM , Blogger Cameron said...

I had 2 favorite things at Isis' party. I'm SO late writing my post on it, so I'll share more specifically on there later, but one was her cupcake liner pom-poms that I made (http://www.howdoesshe.com/cupcake-liner-pom-poms) but I don't know how masculine that is.

Also, we did something where we had little pads of paper & we asked everyone to write a little note or encouragement to Isis & put it in her piggy bank. We're going to do this every year & then one year we'll open her piggy bank & read all of them together!

Hope Levi's birthday is awesome!!!!!

 

Post a Comment

dear friends... i really love and appreciate your comments. thanks so much for taking the time to add your thoughts and opinions.

PLEASE NOTE: if you do not have your blogger account set up with a reply-to email address, i am unable to respond to your comments... and that just makes me sad. boo!

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home