This Page

has been moved to new address

tips and tricks for how to decorate a nursery on the cheap (part 2 of 2)

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
the mommyhood memos: tips and tricks for how to decorate a nursery on the cheap (part 2 of 2)

Wednesday, August 18, 2010

tips and tricks for how to decorate a nursery on the cheap (part 2 of 2)

Decorate your nursery without busting your budget...



{If you missed Part 1 with my first eight tips on how to decorate on a dime, you can read them here.}

frame a favorite story book for inexpensive art work and decorate using toys.
(the cute little green lamp was $7.00 from a thrift store.)

9. Decorate knowing that your baby will soon be a toddler and then a preschooler. 
As much as I love to decorate and re-decorate, it would be unrealistic for me to think I’d be able to re-do Levi’s room every two years. Because of this I’ve stayed away from things that are super baby-ish like pastels and teddy bears. Of course there’s nothing wrong with those and there are many cute nurseries complete with teddy-trimmed curtains, but I chose to go with bright bold colors and simple shapes and lines so that the room could grow with Levi without becoming too outdated too quickly.

multi-purposed rubber bins are practical and look great

10. Buy things that are multi-purpose. 
I bought two rubber bins for $10 each that sit on top of Levi’s wardrobe. Not only do they add a pop of color to the room, but they currently serve as a place to store clothes that he hasn’t yet grown into. As he gets a bit older, we’ll move them down to the floor where they will hold toys and can easily be moved from room to room. In addition to that, when we have parties we temporarily take the stuff out of them, give them a clean, fill them with ice, and--presto--they become our backyard BBQ drink holders. It's a cheap and easy three-in-one!

frame up a fave children's story. (eric carle book from ross: $5.00)

11. Frame a favorite story book or record cover... or a baby t-shirt or dress. 
A friend of ours made us an adorable “made in Spain” onsie for Levi, which we framed until it fit him. (Yes, he was conceived in Spain, if you’re wondering. *grin*) It now hangs on a small hanger on the wall (since he's grown out of it).  It’s such a fun, personalized element of the nursery and a great conversation piece for visiting friends. I've got my eye out for a good shadow-box frame for it to stay in long-term... but for now it looks cute on a nice hanger.

use a favorite t-shirt/onsie/dress to help decorate.

12. Visit a local hardware or craft store. 
Roam the isles and be inspired. We bought wooden letters spelling “Levi” for $2.00 each to be painted and hung on the wall for a personal touch. (No photo for now as I’m currently “re-crafting” them… Maybe I’ll show them off in another post later on?)

old rocking chair from freecycle with a throw pillow repositioned from
another room and a new white throw blanket to cover the outdated cushions.


13. Pair old with new. 
I tucked a nice woven blanket in bright white ($10.00) over the old (80's-looking) cushions of my freecycle rocking chair and added a red throw cushion (an extra one from our living room) to create a nice place for nursing and story time. I also paired old with new on the change table where I have a second-hand change table with a new cover ($17.00) to spruce it up and make it feel new.

an old changing table with a new cover ($17.00);
colorful storage boxes ($2.50 each) to store diapers, wipes, burp cloths, etc.

14. Use storage boxes. 
Not only can you use these to store bits and pieces (duh) and keep things tidy looking, but they also add bursts of color and help keep your theme going. I found these in the perfect colors for about $2.50 each. Some I have used to keep diapering-related things organized, and others I have used for books and toys.

use small, colorful storage bins ($3.00) for books or toys.

15. Add a plant to give life and make a room feel fresh. 
I think every room needs at least one plant. From my perspective it makes a house feel lived in and alive… and it’s a great (inexpensive) way to add color and beauty to a room. If you have trouble keeping them alive, you can get awesome fake plants as well. (Unfortunately good quality fake ones can be a bit spendy… but just watch the sales. Everything goes on sale or clearance at some point!) I picked up one for Levi’s room (a real one) at our local farmers market for $5.00.

a plant is a simple addition and nice touch in any room.

16. Give yourself permission for a splurge item that you love. 
For me it was a piece of art work that I fell in love with. Even though it was marked down by 50%, at $50 it was still more than I’d normally spend on something like this when decorating on a budget. But when I found it I had a pocket full of birthday money… and I figured “it’s my birthday so I’ll spend it how I want to!” (Don’t worry, my birthday money will be spent on myself this year… I was just an excited first-time-mama-to-be last year!)

i love this car artwork... my little splurge for the nursery.

It is possible!
So as you can see, with some hunting, patience, creativity, and thought you can easily decorate a nursery (or any room) without busting the budget. I hope you feel inspired to create a beautiful space and that I’ve got your wheels spinning as you think about how.

Dear mommy-friends, do you have any tips about how to decorate a nursery on the cheap? Please add your expertise here!





Have you registered your blog here yet?


adriel booker | the mommyhood memos | 2010 
do not reproduce without written permission

Labels: , , ,

7 Comments:

At August 18, 2010 at 11:15 PM , Blogger cooperl788 said...

I think your tips are really great Adriel! The Made in Spain onesie is so cute! Levi's room is really cute - I never would have guessed that it was done on a budget. We're starting our search now for a table and chairs for Georgia's room. I've joined my freecycle, and I'm scanning Craigslist like it's my job :)

 
At August 19, 2010 at 12:35 AM , Blogger Dawn said...

Where did you get your bins that are on your changing table. We have a changing table but dont use it as its upstairs and I dont feel the urge to go upstairs into the den that is her room every.time. she needs a diaper change so I use it for storage!

 
At August 19, 2010 at 1:09 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

I love how you framed the books and onesie--that is so classic looking. Bravo for your fun nursery! I can't wait to see his room change as he grows!

 
At August 19, 2010 at 1:31 AM , Blogger Livy said...

Adriel,

You did a great job on the nursery. It will definitely carry through childhood. I love the framed Eric Carle.

The colours you chose look very fresh.

You've inspired me to start to work on a post showing Laney's nursery. We also did it on a budget and used a lot of old pieces.

 
At August 19, 2010 at 1:56 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

I am loving all your tips. Keep 'em coming. I totally forgot about freecycle. Hopefully I'll be decorating a nursery soon and making use of your great tips.

 
At August 22, 2010 at 1:11 AM , Blogger Allyson & Jere said...

Just stopping by from SITS. Anything that talks about decorating, and on the cheap catches my attention. I LOVE decorating and I ONLY believe in decorating for cheap.

My FAVORITE part of what you did was framing the books. Brilliant, and they loook great! I also have my daughters blessing dress hanging on a hanger on the wall, it's just the perfect thing.

Your nursery looks great, love the bright colors.

 
At August 23, 2010 at 2:29 PM , Blogger Reading Allowed said...

Thank you! It's so nice to see a reasonable, doable nursery. I've been overwhelmed by the designer-looking results that come up on google, this is great!

I would have splurged on that artwork too :)

 

Post a Comment

dear friends... i really love and appreciate your comments. thanks so much for taking the time to add your thoughts and opinions.

PLEASE NOTE: if you do not have your blogger account set up with a reply-to email address, i am unable to respond to your comments... and that just makes me sad. boo!

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home