This Page

has been moved to new address

heaven and a donut: a pregnant woman’s living wish

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
the mommyhood memos: heaven and a donut: a pregnant woman’s living wish

Monday, March 28, 2011

heaven and a donut: a pregnant woman’s living wish



I never used my golden ticket.

Nine long months and not once did I demand pad thai or cinnamon raisin bagels or Honey Nut Cheerios.

I suppose I’m lucky to say that my only lingering regret from my first pregnancy was never cashing in on my free pass to satisfy my every hormonal urge and craving. (Not counting my perfectly reasonable obsession with crushed ice by the bucket during my final two months. Side note: unless you are Indiana Jones or Houdini you just. won't. find. snow. in tropical Australia in the dead of summer... or the dead of winter for that matter. Crushed ice will just have to do.)

But no, my golden ticket sat collecting dust on the shelf while I happily munched on ice and my belly grew to busting point.

What a waste of power.

But this time, things are different.

I’m older. I’m wiser. I’m… hungrier.

I was eleven weeks along when I went out last weekend for a girls’ night out with friends. I had contentedly sipped my Sprite for two hours when my first craving hit me like a hurricane.

Donuts. Front and center, they stole the stage of my mind and took my every thought hostage.

All I wanted was one. Or maybe two

Three at the most.

I wasn't asking for anything fancy, just cinnamon donuts… a whim easily satisfied by a quick detour to the grocery store on our way home.

I loaded up my accommodating girlfriends and headed to the only supermarket in town still open. It was 9:57pm when we pulled into the parking lot (yes, shops do close that early here, even on a Saturday night). I was determined to be in an out in record time with my precious cargo.

After a frantic and fruitless search of the bakery section (twice), I left defeated and dejected.

There were no donuts. Not even a trace.

My head hung low, my shoulders slumped, the sparkle stolen from my eyes…

They locked the doors behind me at 10:02pm as I left empty-handed. It was in that moment that I wished my belly was just a little bit bigger. Then maybe somebody would feel sorry for me.

I just wanted a little sympathy.

And a donut.

My girlfriends tried to console me as best they could and I resigned to the fact that perhaps this pregnancy wouldn’t be so different than the first. After all…

I am woman. I am strong. I can live without donuts.

Yes, yes, yes!

I am woman.   I am strong.    I.  can.  live.  without.  donuts.

The next morning I woke to a gloomy, rainy day. It was Sunday—our day—and we decided to head to the mall, if just to have a place that Levi could run his little size four sneakers free without getting hammered by the torrential downpour that drenched our day-at-the-beach plans.

As soon as we stepped into the mall my husband turned to me and said these magic words: “How about we go and get a coffee and donuts?”

Right there on the spot I fell in love with that man all over again.

He knew not of my fruitless endeavors of the night before. He knew not that the baby and his* mama needed donuts.

And honestly, we aren’t even “donut people”. Ryan’s suggestion was left field… but sounded to me like a song from heaven. Surely Someone Divine whispered that thought into his mind. Surely.

I got my donut without so much as a whine or a fuss… or even a golden ticket.

In fact, I got two. Two fresh, warm, dunk-able cinnamon donuts.

Donuts have never tasted sweeter.

I have a sneaking suspicion my second pregnancy is going to be fabulous.


###


Dear friends, did you have cravings during your pregnancies? During my first it was ice, ice, and more ice. (Only because I couldn’t figure out how to get snow shipped in from my parents in Oregon.) During my second I’ve only had the one-off donut craving so far…. But we’ll see where it takes me. And you? How much did you use your golden ticket??

happy about my sweetie bringing me sweets,






*No, we don't know the gender of the baby yet. I just despise using the pronoun "it" for my child. Sometimes the English language is highly frustrating...









Also friends, this post is part of my Reclaiming Sundays project. For the record, our "gloomy, rainy day" turned out to be a perfect family day filled with muffled mall music, fake rides on a stationary Thomas the Train, and of course wonderful donuts. How were you deliberate in taking some time to enjoy those close to you this weekend?







adriel booker | the mommyhood memos | 2011
do not reproduce without written permission

Labels: , , , , , ,

21 Comments:

At March 28, 2011 at 1:01 AM , Blogger Cari said...

During pregnancy, those cravings, or food for that matter can just be heaven sent. My first pregnancy I craved ICEES, flavored buckets of crushed ice, and my second it was twinkies. Funny thing is I haven't had or wanted an ICEE or twinkie since. I might go grab a donut, looked amazing!

 
At March 28, 2011 at 1:36 AM , Anonymous Theresa said...

Oooh, I remember that feeling. I constantly craved mashed pototoes and Hagen Daz, evil....

Snuggled one my monkeys in bed this morning, its a beautiful Sunday already.

 
At March 28, 2011 at 2:19 AM , Blogger Laura said...

I love this. I thought people were joking about cravimgs until I woke up one day and NEEDED orange juice. This non orange juice drinker downed ar least 2 cartons a week during most of my pregnancy!! As far as the golden ticket I never used mine either....does that mean I get two next time? :)

 
At March 28, 2011 at 3:31 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

This is so well written. I am so encouraged that you didn't use your "golden ticket" as so many women do whenever they have a chance. Thank you for this!

 
At March 28, 2011 at 5:15 AM , Blogger Rosilind Jukic said...

With Robi it changed from time to time....potato salad and then corn flakes, and at the end, strong mint gum. On Saturday I got this wild desire for Auntie Anne's pretzels (no other soft pretzels would do but Auntie Anne's!!). And what's a girl to do when she's a 12-hour plane ride from Auntie Anne's???? Google a recipe, of course! Yep, made 2 batches of my own Auntie Anne's - they were the best - and I ate one whole batch all by myself...and I don't even feel embarrassed! haha!!! I sort of justified it with the fact that so far I haven't gained a pound and the charts say I should have gained at least 5 (so I made up for it with 5lbs of soft doughy pretzels, I guess!)

 
At March 28, 2011 at 5:49 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

The only real cravings I've had were during the 2nd trimester for garlic bread and buttery popcorn. I'm feeling like I need to crave something soon so I can play that card before baby arrives.

 
At March 28, 2011 at 6:28 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

Thanks for making me crave a donut now. Kidding! But that does sound fabulous. I pretty much love all doughy sweet things when I'm pregnant, though. Lately I've been into hard-boiled eggs and potatoes. No super strong cravings yet really.

Last time I had a ridiculous sweet tooth, but I very rarely had Toby run out and get me anything. So, like you, I feel like I hardly cashed in on that golden ticket. This time may just be different!

 
At March 28, 2011 at 8:09 AM , Blogger The Little Hen House said...

Lol! I lived off of bagels and cream cheese and cans of Coke my second pregnancy. Those were the only things I could stomach. I swore the baby was going to either come out looking like a Sarah Lee bagel or packaged in a Coke can. Go with your cravings- it's one of the few times in life you can get away with it. :)

 
At March 28, 2011 at 10:41 AM , Blogger Amy Sullivan said...

You crack me up. "What a waste of power!"

Cravings? Meat. . .just a big steak or roast or anything.

 
At March 28, 2011 at 11:32 AM , Blogger Getrealmommy said...

Funny, my third pregnancy and my cravings have been so blah. Lattes, Mochas and Pink Lady apples. That's about it. Good news is, at 28 weeks I have gained a heck of a lot less wieght, but I still have a couple months to catch up! Enjoy!

 
At March 28, 2011 at 10:03 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

You deserve a donut! I didn't have any cravings during my first pregnancy, but I have a feeling my second will be different. I will try to hold back as much as I can, but I'm definitely going to treat myself sometimes. Like you said, it's a perfect excuse to cash in!

 
At March 28, 2011 at 11:53 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

ha, you ARE strong, some woman cash in every single month

 
At March 29, 2011 at 1:14 AM , Blogger 4 Lettre Words said...

Love it...and the fact that you're willing to give in this time around! With both of my pregnancies, I didn't crave sugar, but definitely salty snacks...pretzels, chips, fries, etc. I also had that crushed-ice craving. :)

 
At March 29, 2011 at 3:09 AM , Blogger Kristin said...

What a fun post! I love it! I can totally relate... those cravings!! Cute!!

 
At March 29, 2011 at 4:10 AM , Blogger cooperl788 said...

Ohhh, the cravings. When I was pregnant with Georgia, I had massive cravings for apples with peanut butter in my third trimester. I would usually eat them alongside graham crackers with peanut butter and dark chocolate chips (slightly warmed in the microwave). I would eat platefuls of each after dinner every night. (No wonder I gained the full 35 lbs!). Cinnamon donuts sound heavenly!

 
At March 29, 2011 at 4:25 AM , Blogger Courtney K. said...

Mmm...cravings. My first few months it was chips & salsa. Then it was chocolate chip cookies. But the ENTIRE time I was pregnant, I wanted cereal. Any kind of cereal and cold, cold milk. Glad you got your donut!

 
At March 29, 2011 at 6:14 AM , Blogger kissapoo said...

I've never ever in my whole life enjoyed oatmeal. My dad made it all the time for our Saturday Warm Breakfasts as a Family growing up. I dreaded oatmeal Saturday. YUCK!

I'm 27 weeks pregnant today and oatmeal is the one thing that I could NEVER give up now! I have it almost every morning. I add wheat berries in for more fiber/protein. I love it with blueberries, strawberries, honey...you name it! Oh My Goodness! Can't get enough.

The other thing I MUST HAVE in my life is spicy foods, the spicier the better. I love spicy foods normally, but now they need to be a 'Thai-food-three-star' to even come close to satisfying the need for spice!

I can't wait to hear when you actually get to USE your golden ticket! :)

 
At March 29, 2011 at 12:33 PM , Blogger Moments and Impressions said...

oooh mine was clementines... I ate crates of them. And popcycles - there were little wood sticks every where.

 
At March 30, 2011 at 2:31 AM , Blogger Hannah said...

Thanks for your comment on my blog! Yeah, this birth was a VBAC. I spent way too much of my pregnancy worried and anxious about something going wrong, and after the baby was born it was kinda like, "Whew, that was easy!" Of course there were a gazillion people who prayed for it to go well, and as I look back I can see how divinely orchestrated it all was. God is so good! So yeah, don't worry about it.. get everyone you can think of on your prayer team and then sit back and see what God does. ;)Maybe he/she will just pop out while you sleep one night. I've read about that sort of thing happening. :D

I craved ice. Sonic has the best ice!

 
At March 30, 2011 at 5:19 AM , Blogger Jessica said...

My first pregnancy, I craved...ummm...well...pretty much everything. And, I'm really not joking. It was sad. By the nine month, my weight made me wish that I was particular in my cravings, but I really wasn't. This time around, my cravings are more healthy. Yesterday, I was craving tuna. The day before I was craving salad. It's really so random. My philosophy on pregnancy cravings is to give in when necessary. It's really such a joyous time!

 
At March 30, 2011 at 7:22 AM , Blogger faith ann raider said...

LOVE this post :) I've been craving doughnuts with this pregnancy as well - your doughnut looks AMAZING!!

 

Post a Comment

dear friends... i really love and appreciate your comments. thanks so much for taking the time to add your thoughts and opinions.

PLEASE NOTE: if you do not have your blogger account set up with a reply-to email address, i am unable to respond to your comments... and that just makes me sad. boo!

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home