This Page

has been moved to new address

reclaiming sundays... with beans and a side of enchilada

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
the mommyhood memos: reclaiming sundays... with beans and a side of enchilada

Thursday, March 17, 2011

reclaiming sundays... with beans and a side of enchilada

Our last couple of Sundays have been rainy. Not just the skies-are-gray-things-are-a-bit-wet type of rainy... but more of an I-just-might-drown-trying-to-get-from-my-house-to-my-car type of rainy.

Relentless pounding tropical downpour.

Although Oregon is thought of as a state that is constantly wet, I'm from a very dry area in central Oregon, where we typically get 6-12 inches of rain per year. I don't even remember owning a raincoat or umbrella for most of my life.

And then I moved to the tropics.

Here during the wet season we can easily get my hometown's entire annual rainfall in a single afternoon. {I am soooo not exaggerating.}

Sunday was one of those days.

But, regardless of the elements being pitted against us, we had already decided that we were going out to celebrate Ryan's birthday at a local wanna-be-Mexican restaurant (the closest the Aussies can get to Mexican at least), and so we scooped up our little and headed in search of ribs (for Ryan) and a burrito (for me).

Much to my dismay the restaurant had quit serving burritos. Yes, you read that right - a Mexican restaurant with no burritos. (Remember friends, we are talking Australian-Mexican food here.)

So instead I got the enchiladas.

To my shock and horror I was delivered a giant plate with ONE enchilada surrounded by two massive side dishes - beans on one side and lettuce on the other. My measly lone enchilada was nearly lost in that sea of lettuce and beans.

Now before you feel too sorry for me let me remind you that this occasion was not about me. (Keep in mind how hard it is for a pregnant woman to acknowledge this when it comes to anything food-related!)

Thankfully my enchilada (singular) was tasty... but far more importantly, Ryan's huge order of ribs was absolutely delish. Levi munched on bits of our meals and was happy bopping along in his highchair to the cheesy Video Hits that played in the background. But the best part of the meal was the end - just watching my boy love his daddy and my man love his son.

They are such a great pair.






Soaking wet and still hungry or not... there's no better way to spend a Sunday than with the ones I love most.

Dear friends, have you had some good family time this week? I dare you to be deliberate about making it happen.

estoy alegre,




Note: You can read my original post with more of what this is all about here. If you'd like to grab the Reclaiming Sundays button and join in with our family's quest to make some more time for rest in our busy lives, then please feel free. (And remember, your "Sundays" don't have to literally be on Sundays... any old day will do, as long as it's deliberate.) Make sure to leave me your link so I can visit!




(And don't worry, the button will display on your blog as a normal button size!)



adriel booker | the mommyhood memos | 2011 
do not reproduce without written permission

Labels: , , , , , , , ,

8 Comments:

At March 17, 2011 at 8:38 PM , Blogger Jennie {Clover and Violet} said...

Cute! Josiah got a surprise day off of work yesterday and we did almost the same thing (minus the torrential downpour, though, we do get them on the east coast). Our Mexican food was pretty good...though not quite west coast Mexican (why they put cheese sauce on everything baffles me). Yay for wonderful dads who love their boys!

 
At March 17, 2011 at 10:17 PM , Anonymous Rachel said...

Well, its down pouring here too. But we've nothing even close to Mexican unless we try to make it ourselves...I do feel the need to apologise that you can't get a good burrito in Australia. Chipotle is one of my most favourite things about the States!

 
At March 17, 2011 at 10:40 PM , Blogger cooperl788 said...

I so understand the lack of any good mexican food. I grew up in CA, and it's just not even close to call the restaurants here Mexican. But I digress - your dinner out looks like fun, even if it was a little bit of a culinary adventure!
We deliberately sit down and eat dinner together every night. We pray together. Jeremy asks Georgia what she did during the day. I ask him about his day. We try not to talk about anything that is a To-Do, just to focus on what was good during the day. It's a really lovely time for all of us, and more fun as Georgia becomes more conversant.

 
At March 17, 2011 at 11:28 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

Good mexican food is the best! Sorry about the rain and no burrito. Looks like the boys had a great time. Thanks for the visit!

 
At March 17, 2011 at 11:51 PM , Blogger Casey Martinez said...

yum! Aside from sushi Mexican food is my next favorite!! How do Enchiladas taste in the out back? lol. Your pictures with your hubby and son are priceless! Love the last one of them both looking away (at the TV perhaps) but, so cute!

 
At March 18, 2011 at 5:51 AM , Blogger Mayra said...

Looks like Ryan had a lovely birthday! Yummy ribs and surrounded by a little cutie and his chamring wife, how can he not?

The pictures speak a thousand words. =)

 
At March 19, 2011 at 1:20 AM , Blogger Jessica said...

Aww. This sounds like so much fun! Happy birthday, Ryan. The pictures of the two of them together are priceless.

 
At March 22, 2011 at 12:46 AM , Blogger Rachel~Wildflower Photography Studio and Wildflower Creative said...

Super cute photos! :) Thanks for visiting me and leaving a comment. :)

 

Post a Comment

dear friends... i really love and appreciate your comments. thanks so much for taking the time to add your thoughts and opinions.

PLEASE NOTE: if you do not have your blogger account set up with a reply-to email address, i am unable to respond to your comments... and that just makes me sad. boo!

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home