This Page

has been moved to new address

the destination? or the journey?

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
the mommyhood memos: the destination? or the journey?

Saturday, January 22, 2011

the destination? or the journey?



Thirty-four-and-a-half. That’s the number of hours we spent waiting for planes and layin-over on our recent trip from Townsville-Sydney-San Francisco-Honolulu-Kona-Los Angeles-San Francisco-Bend-San Francisco-Sydney-Brisbane-Townsville.

I’m not ready to take that trip again anytime soon.

Thirty-four-and-a-half hours.

Oh, and that was not including our overnight layover in San Francisco due to inclement weather (which would take us to well over forty-five hours).

I’ve heard it said that it’s about the journey, not the destination… And I get that. But let me tell you, we wouldn’t go on a journey like that unless there were some really fabulous destinations on the other side.

So maybe it’s about the journey and the destination.

But when you have a travel itinerary as epic (read: long) as ours, you have to make the most of the journey… for everyone’s sake.

A few glimpses of how we spent our thirty-four-and-a-half hours:











We tried to make the most of our thirty-four-and-a-half.

There were frequent trips to Starbucks. There was Chinese take-out. There were naps on chests. There were naps on floors. There was window shopping. There were borrowed highchairs. There were meals on the floor. There were adventures in the Ergo. There was territory marked out in forgotten waiting areas. There were many repeats of the same four board books. There were handfuls of Cheerios… many handfuls. And there were even some extra moments with grandparents and friends to help us in the wait.

Some of those hours were better spent than others… but overall we did try to enjoy some “family time” together since it was [mostly] just the three of us with nowhere to go and nothing to do… except wait. And enjoy the moment.

Dear friends, do you find it easy or hard to enjoy the journey? Are you a “destination person”, a “journey person”, or a combination of the two?

arrived… home, that is,






adriel booker | the mommyhood memos | 2010 
do not reproduce without written permission

Labels: , , , ,

8 Comments:

At January 22, 2011 at 4:50 PM , Blogger mdforkids said...

You have quite the little world traveler there with you! I love your pictures. Levi is so adorable and he looks like he's a natural traveler.

Hope you guys had a wonderful adventure. Certainly 34.5 hours of waiting can weigh on anyone. You three looked like you handled it well!

You will have memories of this trip for years to come. Guess it really is the journey and the destination:)

 
At January 22, 2011 at 7:43 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

Growing up, we listened to a lot of Michael Card. He has these lyrics which say, "There is a joy in the journey," and my family, which has moved around a lot, has latched onto those words and claimed them. So it's kind of my life mantra, for lack of better words.

Taking joy in this journey that God has given us, and it looks like you guys have been doing just that :) 34+ hours of layover time! Holy Toledo! I applaud you, girlfriend!

 
At January 23, 2011 at 12:42 AM , Anonymous Christine said...

I try to remember to be present in the journey, but I'm much more a destination kind of girl. 34.5 hours would have been more of a challenge for me than I care to admit. Looks like you guys did a great job.

Your baby is gorgeous, by the way.

 
At January 23, 2011 at 12:59 AM , Blogger The Planet Pink said...

I used to be a destination girl, back when I was first married and childless. Now I know it's much more about the journey. I wish I had learned that lesson earlier, but I'm making the most of it now. :-)

 
At January 23, 2011 at 2:11 AM , Anonymous Morgan B. said...

Levi is getting so grown up! I love his teeth! It looks like you guys had quite an adventure. When it comes to traveling with my children, I'm a destination person all the way. I think I have blocked out the traveling portion of every single trip I have taken with them. My motto is, "We will get there eventually!" I hope you guys had a wonderful vacation. xoxo

 
At January 23, 2011 at 8:48 AM , Blogger ElissaM said...

wow...what a trip! So long but I bet so worth it:-) Those pictures are priceless, so glad you captured them!

 
At January 23, 2011 at 12:47 PM , Blogger Diana said...

You three are troopers! I don't know if I could do that, I'm definitely one to go on a road trip (18 hours max) but go through what you went through? TROOPERS!!!

 
At January 24, 2011 at 12:09 PM , Blogger cooperl788 said...

Aaah, the airport. Georgia and I travel together every few months to see various family all over the country, and it's always about the journey AND the destination. I love how much more snuggly she is on the plane, how we get hours to read together without any distractions or chores. Don't get me wrong, arriving is amazing, but getting there is half the fun!

 

Post a Comment

dear friends... i really love and appreciate your comments. thanks so much for taking the time to add your thoughts and opinions.

PLEASE NOTE: if you do not have your blogger account set up with a reply-to email address, i am unable to respond to your comments... and that just makes me sad. boo!

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home