This Page

has been moved to new address

dreaming of a white christmas

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
the mommyhood memos: dreaming of a white christmas

Wednesday, September 29, 2010

dreaming of a white christmas



{the christmas i'm not dreaming of this year}


I know, I know... first comes Halloween, then comes Thanksgiving, and then I can think about Christmas, right? Wrong.


I cannot get Christmas off of my mind.


Could it be because this will be my first Christmas at home in America in five years?


Could it be that we haven't had a family vacation in almost two years?


Could it be that it will be my husband's first opportunity to have a white Christmas somewhere in Oregon at the foot of the mountains?


Could it be that I can't wait to introduce Levi to snow angels and snowmen and the thrill of sledding down a little kiddy slope?


Could it be that it's early springtime and already 85 degrees here and I just can't wait to wear my knee high boots and jeans, a sweater and a beanie?


Could it be that I just want to see my baby tear into his first gift-wrapped presents (and then no doubt get consumed with the boxes, not the new toys)?


Could it be that I cannot wait to see my brother and my parents and my grandparents and aunts and uncles and cousins and... everyone playing with our growing boy?


Could it be that I'm dying for a Starbucks caramel macchiato?


Could it be that I long to hear the silence of softly falling snow?


Could it be that it's been five years since I've hit up American after-Christmas sales?


Could it be that I miss Oregon chai?


Could it be that I am dying for a little genuine Mexican food?


Could it be that I'm craving the warmth that comes from a crackling fire, rather than the warmth that comes from 80% humidity and 97 degree days?


Could it be that I just love warm cinnamon rolls and coffee on a cold wintry Christmas morning?


Could it be that I can almost feel the excitement of waking up to the stillness that comes with a fresh blanket of an over-night snowfall?


Could it be that I'm looking forward to hearing songs like "Let it Snow" and "I'm Dreaming of a White Christmas" without sweat dripping down my face and back and everywhere else?


{christmas baking last year at 35 weeks pregnant -
wearing compression socks for my elephant feet/ankles
and as little else as possible. i thought i was gonna die
.} 


Could it be that I'm just long over-due for a Christmas at "home"?


Yes, yes, yes, yes, and a hundred more yes's. 


Dear mommy-friends, how about you? Are you already dreaming about Christmas?


literally dreaming of a white christmas,




Have you registered your blog here yet?


adriel booker | the mommyhood memos | 2010 
do not reproduce without written permission

Labels: , , , , , , ,

18 Comments:

At September 29, 2010 at 11:43 AM , Blogger Brittany said...

:))

Ahhh it WILL be a white christmas here. Id love it.. but it can go away just as soon as the christmas is over :)

 
At September 29, 2010 at 12:03 PM , Anonymous Jamie said...

I LOVE Christmas. Love, love LOVE it. I think my husband gets a little annoyed that I get started so early, but I love it so much I can't help myself. A white Christmas is always hit or miss for us, but I REALLY hope you get one this year

 
At September 29, 2010 at 12:15 PM , Blogger lunablue said...

No, time goes by too fast, and this will probably be my first christmas away from home.

 
At September 29, 2010 at 12:57 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

Christmas in Oregon is awesome!! I hope we get a butt load of snow just for you and your family this year Adriel!

 
At September 29, 2010 at 1:51 PM , Blogger Mandy@ a sorta fairytale said...

Absolutely!!! I'm so excited for Christmas! Mostly because it will be our first Christmas with Bennett and that makes me so giddy.

Wish I had some compression socks when I was pregnant!! I was so swollen!

Oh, I thought I'd remind you... WA isn't that far away from Oregon! ;-)

 
At September 29, 2010 at 1:56 PM , Blogger Crystal said...

I hear THAT!! I haven't had a Christmas at home (with my extended family- mom, sisters,aunts, uncles) in 6 years!! Though its only been 2 since I have experienced the cold, wet- not snowy though, Christmas. This will be our 3rd tropical Christmas on Guam and I am so NOT looking forward to it. I LOVE the season, but for me without the cold it just isn't truly my kinda Christmas! (Though I would love to find a Santa in shorts on the beach type ornament to represent our time here!) We will hopefully get to go home for Thanksgiving though, which it has been 5 yrs since I have been home for that- I look forward to a LARGE family meal, instead of my tiny versions for just me, picky young kids and my hubby!!

 
At September 29, 2010 at 2:19 PM , Blogger MOMMY-MOMO said...

my baby girl is due on christmas eve so this is an especially anticipated christmas!!

 
At September 29, 2010 at 2:31 PM , Blogger Sommer said...

Are you sure you're excited about Christmas? Hehe! This is definitely going to be a memorable Christmas for you and your family. You make me want to pack my family up, too. I live in Germany, and the weather is reminiscent of my hometown in the USA, but I, too, haven't spent Christmas home in 6 years. Would be a nice change.

Weren't the the cutest 8 months pregnant momma! Sorry about the swelling of the ankles!

 
At September 29, 2010 at 3:05 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I can't wait for Christmas too. Emma is starting to ask me where Santa is and she wants to know what he is doing. She is finally getting it. I can't wait to see her face on Christmas morning! A baby's first Christmas is always special, but this year feels more like her first.

 
At September 29, 2010 at 6:33 PM , Blogger Emily - faliLV said...

Oh I love the silent sound of freshy falling snow. And the smell. I bet Oregon is beautiful, but I have yet to make it there. I would be super excited if I was you too...
Our family holiday trips are completely up in the air with my hubs deployments... who knows where we will be this year... But I am looking forward to Rob being home for Christmas this year (He missed the holidays last year bc of his job)
Emily
familyandlifeinlv.com

 
At September 29, 2010 at 8:52 PM , Blogger Rosilind Jukic said...

I am SURE you heard me whine all the way to Australia. Didn't you?? Didn't you?? I mean - not only are you going to be in the States for Christmas...you are going to be in OREGON!!!!! Where in Oregon? I lived in Ptld for 10 years and my parents and brother are in Hermiston now. And Oregon chai - you HAVE to drink some for me (and maybe a Starbucks Pepermint Latte). Agreed? Okay. You promise to take pictures, right? Becuase I am depending on you - so I can live my American/Oregon Christmas vicariously through your blog. :)

You DESERVE this! And I hope you have the time of your life. Have a good time on Mt Hood - enjoy the crisp mountain air. Get a good look at the Pacific (if you get to see the coast - and I'm sure you will) and just have a GOOD TIME!

 
At September 29, 2010 at 9:00 PM , Blogger cooperl788 said...

I so understand the excitement for your family to get to enjoy Levi as much as you do... and they will! How exciting that you get to go home for Christmas! It's the best holiday ever, mostly because it's a holiday that really strengthens family ties, and the traditions are so much fun. This year, we've opted to stay home because flying with a 2 year old sounds less than appealing. We'll try again next year, but I'm really sad we'll be missing out on all that fun!

 
At September 29, 2010 at 10:36 PM , Blogger A House and Home said...

Ooh, I think you've got me excited for Christmas already. Sounds like you are going to have an amazing trip. I always feel like half of the enjoyment is the anticipation, so enjoy!

 
At September 30, 2010 at 12:01 AM , Blogger Heather said...

Christmas at home...heavenly!! And while I'm not as far from home as you are, it might as well be since it's unlikely I'll be able to spend the holiday with my mom this year. There's nothing like being surrounded by family and traditions you've known your whole life.

 
At September 30, 2010 at 12:04 AM , Anonymous Chelsea Bergman said...

Yes! We are heading "home" to Oregon this Christmas too!

 
At October 1, 2010 at 5:33 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

I'm excited for you, Adriel! It will be such a special, memorable white Christmas for you and your family.

We don't get snow here, but it will be nice and chilly. My dad is very into Christmas and is getting me giddy about decorating our house for the first time -- he was talking about it when we moved here last January!

 
At October 2, 2010 at 4:41 AM , Anonymous Jill L said...

Adriel, that is so awesome that you will be in the USA for Christmas. I want our Visa to get approved sometime in the near future, but I am really hoping that we are here for Christmas, that would be so special for our fist time witha child. hugs :)

 
At October 5, 2010 at 11:17 AM , Blogger Cameron said...

I have definitely been thinking about Christmas a lot lately! It's so exciting that it's the first one with Isis! I think it's really great that you all get to come to the US this year for Christmas & that it's your first Christmas with Levi!! What a fun memory!! I can't wait to hear about it!

 

Post a Comment

dear friends... i really love and appreciate your comments. thanks so much for taking the time to add your thoughts and opinions.

PLEASE NOTE: if you do not have your blogger account set up with a reply-to email address, i am unable to respond to your comments... and that just makes me sad. boo!

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home